News

Business man accused of killing wife denied bail again

The Madina magistrate court has for the second time denied bail application for Prince Charles Dedjoe, the businessman accused of killing his wife, Lilian Dedjoe.

The court presided over by Her Worship Maame Efua Tordimah said the application for bail cannot be granted until the case reaches the committal stage.

Speaking to the media after proceedings today, Monday, March 22, 2021, counsel for the accused, Nana Effa Nkrabea Darteh said he is confident the high court to which he has also applied for bail will grant it.

He however disagreed with the magistrate court’s ruling on the bail citing previous precedents.

“I don’t understand why the court should take the position that it [the bail can be granted] only [at] the committal stage. The court is seized with jurisdiction at any point in time to grant bail for any accused person.” Mr. Darteh said.

He further reiterated the innocence of his client.

“He is innocent, very innocent and this ongoing trial in the media is not in the interest of justice and fair play because you have tied the hands of the accused person. The accused person cannot speak. The accused person cannot hold a press conference.”

The case has been adjourned to April 12, 2021.

Meanwhile, the father of the deceased, Seth Charles Plasu, who disputed claims by counsel for the accused that his son-in-law is innocent, expressed confidence in the state’s handling of the issue.

Family of woman allegedly killed by husband demands justice

The family of the late Lilian Dedjoe believes strongly that the husband, Charles Dedjoe, is behind the death of their relative.

Although the police say Mr. Dedjoe claimed he found the deceased unconscious on their staircase and rushed her to the hospital, the family of Lilian doubts the husband’s account.

Brother of the late Lilian Dedjoe, Hans-Peter Blasu in a Citi News interview noted that the relationship between the couple had been undesirable.

“There was a point in time where my sister wanted to walk out of the marriage,” Mr. Blasu noted.

He said the suspect has given them enough reason to believe that he murdered his wife.

“My sister once visited me in London and opened up to me on the challenges she had been facing in the marriage. In fact, there was an incident on the first of March which to us [the family of the deceased] was a deal-breaker. I do not want to give out all the details but this incident makes us believe strongly that there is more to her death than the account the husband gave.”

Source: citinewsroom

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close