Pencils of Promise, (PoP), a non-profit organisation operating in Volta, Eastern and Oti Regions has commissioned a 4-unit classroom block with sanitation facilities for the kindergarten (KG) at Anlo-Afiadenyigba EP Basic School.
The classroom block which came fully furnished replaces the dilapidated ones which accommodated about 100 young learners.
Mr Freeman Gobah, Country Director of PoP speaking at the inaugural ceremony said the KG block at Anlo-Afiadenyigba demonstrated the organisation’s commitment to improving quality education in less privileged schools and communities.
He said since said PoP presence in the country in 2012 had invested so much into supporting communities in the three regions with school infrastructure, training of teachers and providing teaching and learning materials including E-learning equipment as well as initiating water and sanitation facilities in the schools.
He said the impact of these interventions included improved reading outcomes, improved water coverage for children and improvement in school enrolment and indicated the organisation was ready to partner more communities to bridge the urban-rural education gap.
He thanked the Member of Parliament (MP) for the area, the community and all those who supported the project successfully explaining, 80 percent of the construction work was borne by PoP with the community bearing the other 20 percent.
Mr James Deffor, Head teacher of the school was grateful for the momentous day in the life of the school and the community saying, the new block initiated by PoP through community participation was a manifestation of the organisation’s commitment to developing education infrastructure in less privileged communities.
He acknowledged other support the school benefitted from PoP including literacy books for the lower primary and workshops for teachers saying, such interventions had positive impacts for the school.
Mr Deffor noted the school still had some needs and called on all stakeholders for support while appealing to the Municipal Education Directorate to post teacher(s) with Early Childhood Education qualification to add to the only professional teacher handling the 100 learners in the KG because the situation was “seriously affecting teaching and learning at the KG level.”
Mr Gerhard Avudzivi, Municipal Education Director, Keta through his representative, Mr Gabriel Quarshie expressed joy over the project and called on leadership of the school and the entire community to take good care of it.
He appealed to PoP to extend support to other schools in similar situations in the Municipality.
Mr Kwame Dzudzorli Gakpey, MP for Keta on behalf of the chiefs and people of Anlo-Afiadenyigba thanked PoP for the new block and expressed his readiness to always support such projects to improve education in the Constituency.