Black Stars end March friendlies without a win after 2-2 draw with Uganda

The Black Stars failed to beat Uganda in their second friendly match of the March international break in Marrakech on Tuesday afternoon.

Ghana settled for a draw at the end of the game despite twice leading in the encounter through Jerome Opoku and Jordan Ayew.

Otto Addo made five changes to the starting lineup that played against Nigeria with Ebenezer Annan, Denis Odoi, Abu Francis, Abdul Fatawu Issahaku and Jojo Wollacott coming into the team.

Ghana started on a strong foot and created chances with Jordan Ayew the first to have a go at the Uganda goalkeeper. However, his shot from a free kick in close range was parried away.

READ  CJ to probe Muntaka’s bribery claim against Supreme Court judge

However, the Crystal Palace forward created the opening goal. His delivery from a corner kick was met by Jerome Opoku, who scored to break the deadlock in the seventh minute.

It was the centre-back’s first goal for the Black Stars since making his debut appearance last year.

Ghana’s joy was shortlived as Steven Mukwala drew the Cranes levelled 14 minutes after the opening goal of the game.

Annan fouled his marker in the box and the Asante Kotoko forward stepped up to convert the resulting advantage to make it 1-1.

Shortly after, the Black Stars won a penalty of their own through Odoi, who was fouled in the Ugandan box.

Jordan Ayew took the responsibility and scored from the spot to restore Ghana’s lead, making it four goals for him in his last three games for the national team.

Ernest Nuamah came close to adding a third before the break but his effort just went over the crossbar as Ghana headed into the recess with a 2-1 lead.

The return from the break saw very minimal chances from the two teams but it was Uganda who looked dangerous anytime they surged forward.

Wollacott was forced into a decent save in the 73rd minute after Ghana’s defence ‘fell asleep’ from a Uganda attack.

READ  Mahama ‘Insults’ Ghanaians For Voting NPP

The Cranes were finally rewarded for their efforts eight minutes later as Wollacott’s save from a header was not dealt with properly with the opposition scoring from the rebound to make it 2-2.

Despite a late attempt for the winner, none of the two teams could find the back of the net as the game ended in a stalemate.

The result means Otto Addo’s side failed to win a game during the March international break having lost to Nigeria in the first friendly.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button