Fire service shuts down electronic shops at Ho and Sogakope

The Volta Regional Fire Service has locked up some major electronic appliance outlets in Ho and Sogakope over lack of fire certificates.

A swoop led by Mr Richard Bisimpo, Regional Fire Safety Officer, in collaboration with the Police, closed down branches of retailers, including Class House Electronics and Victor Electronics for their inability to produce fire certificates for their premises.

READ  Lawoshime residents appeal for life jackets forteachers, pupils

The Officer told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that the visit was the fourth in an attempt to get the outlets to acquire and to renew the certifications.

He said the shops would remain closed until the required standards were satisfied.

The team also visited the West African Football Academy (WAFA) training facility at Sogakope and inspected fire hydrants, water distribution systems, and fire alarms.

READ  ‘Our recovery programme is very credible’ – Nana Addo defends e-levy on BBC

Some petrol stations in the South Tongu District were also examined on maintenance and use of electric power systems.

Mr Bisimpo said electronic appliance retailers were key targets due to the fire susceptibility of their products, and must meet the standards on fire prevention and safety.

He expressed concerns over the low level of compliance in the Region, and said the exercise was a “wake up call to all who are aware that the fire certificates are necessary but are not acquiring them.”

READ  SSNIT increases 2021 pension pay by 10%

Mr Bisimpo asked managers and operators to consider the importance of fire certificates, saying it helped ensure adequate preparation against fire outbreaks and other emergency situations.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button